People often take the mick out of how much I like Cwmbran. I take it on the chin when anyone says there is nowhere really good to eat. We have quite a few places for good pub grub but where would you go for something extra special in the town? I bet you are scratching your head.
The last few months have seen something different on the food front arrive in Cwmbran. It is unique for this area and probably in south Wales.
Last night was the fourth Raspberry Bush Supper Club at the Bush Inn in Upper Cwmbran. You can read a post I wrote on Julie, the person behind the night, by clicking this link. Once a month she uses the pub kitchen and prepares a cracking menu of interesting locally sourced food.
The Supper Club is a place that mixes fantastic food with good conversation. The mish mash of tables mean you sit with other guests. As an ex-journalist my ears prick up whenever I hear something interesting. I love being nosy and listening to people. These are three of the people I met last night.
1. A man who travels by train every day from Cwmbran to London to work on the contstruction of the Olympic games.
2. A couple who became pen pals 40 years ago and went on to get married.
3. A woman whose friend is about to take part in ‘Come Dine With Me’.
Ok. So that’s the conversation part of the night but what about the food? Here is what we ate last night. The cost was £25 and it was a big thumbs up. There is simply nothing like this anywhere near Cwmbran. The fact it only happens once a month makes it a bit ‘underground’ and secretive. You have to reserve your seat pretty quickly when the new date is announced on Raspberry Catering’s Twitter or Facebook
- Beetroot Tart Tatin with Watercress Creme Fraiche
- Smoked Salmon & Chive pate on Sourdough toastFirst Course
- Red Onion & Welsh Goats Cheese Tart with wild Rocket & balsamic dressingMain course
- Carbonnade of Welsh Venison
- Ragout of Roast Butternut Squash & Mushrooms (V)
- Gratin Potatoes dauphinoise – baked in cream & garlic
- Braised Red Cabbage with apple (V) and baconDessert
- Hazelnut meringue with hazelnut praline & Chocolate sauce
- Red wine poached pears with honeyed marscapone creamTea/ Coffee
Homemade Truffles & Chocolates
I grabbed a few people for an audioboo. But the app on my phone had a major crash. This meant I lost what I recorded as I had to reinstall the app today. But here are a few photos.